On March 5th, George’s parents posted on their website their support for George attending a gun show. In part they wrote
“This event will simply provide George the opportunity to meet and greet those who stood with him during the most difficult time of his life.”
They wrote there would be no compensation for attending and no media would be present. You can read their full statement here.
The organizer began organizing this event a year ago and had about 100 sponsors set-up. Earlier this week, they invited George to attend and posted on their facebook page the announcement that George would be at the show.
This picture was also posted on the page and a page administrator posted on the photo “Only one man in the room with a confirmed kill.” As one could imagine, this caused quite a stir and many George Zimmerman supporters expressed their disapproval online.
Trayvon Martin supporters urged those who were upset by George appearing at the gun show to contact the venue and complain. The Majestic Orlando was quick to respond and posted on their facebook page this statement. As you can see, I responded but the event owner blocked me from the page and my posts were taken off as a result.
The Arms Room was asked to take the announcement down that George Zimmerman would be attending and agree to the fact he won’t be on the premises on the weekend. The Arms Room said they agreed to these demands because it would have a negative affect on their 100 sponsors and thousands of dollars would be lost.
George Zimmerman tweeted out confirmation that he had been uninvited and he encouraged his supporters to voice their opinions with the venue.
In spite of agreeing that George wouldn’t attend and the post being taken down announcing he would be a special guest there, the venue advised the Arms Room that it was cancelling the event as per this post by The Arms Room.
This decision has left many sponsors in a tough spot, so the Arms Room plans on going to court later today (Friday) to stop the Majestic from pulling the plug.
“We’ve had discussions with The Majestic and they decided to cancel the event because George Zimmerman was making an appearance,” said Mike Piwowarski, who organized the gun show.
Local 6 called and emailed managers at The Majestic but no one has replied. Local 6 posted this story about the incident late Thursday.
George was told that the African American community is important to the venue and its needs trumps his rights.
For the sake of all the vendors who stand to lose thousands of dollars, I hope this mess gets straightened out fast.